Josh's joshings 'The buck starts here' Josh
"The finest and most perceptive blog in the entire Universe" - Jayson (not Tony) Blair
Email me *
How easy is it to recognise irony.
Big boys (& girls)
British Journalism Review*
Worth a look
The Feral Eye*
I live on your visits*
Jak - Vancouver*
Reflections in D minor*
Drabness is a state of mind
Monday, August 27, 2007
A paean to god(s)
Further to my last piece, I was asked recently why I don’t believe in god/allah/yahweh. My very brief answer went as follows:
• God is grot (1) merdeiful (2): clearly man-made and a vicious bastard to boot.
• There is no evidence that such a being can exist/has ever existed.
• I do not accept things without reasonable explanations.
• ‘Faith’ is not a virtue; it is gullibility.
• The ‘first cause’ argument always leads to the question ‘Who made god?’
• Two thousand year old texts are inevitably suspect.
• Human knowledge, underpinned by science, has pushed back the ‘unknown’ frontiers.
• Theistic explanations, e.g. of our Solar System and the Universe, are wrong.
• The supporting evidence for Darwinian evolution explains our existence, elegantly.
• The concept of an afterlife is absurd.
• There is no heaven; there is no hell. There is only an inevitable death.
• We derive moral rules without sticks and carrots from imaginary sources.
• Finding the idea of god ‘comforting’ does not make it true.
This is a very short summary of my reasons for finding belief in god/allah/yahweh ridiculous. The more I look at the issue, the more convinced I become. And I haven’t even started on the organised religions yet…
(1) From British slang ‘grotty’: 1. unpleasant, nasty, or unattractive; 2. of poor quality or in bad condition, unsatisfactory, or useless. [Not bad, eh?]
(2) From the French ‘merde’: shit. [Even better!]
Comments: Post a Comment