Josh's joshings     'The buck starts here'  Josh

"The finest and most perceptive blog in the entire Universe" - Jayson (not Tony) Blair


Email me *



How easy is it to recognise irony.
A. Pedant



Big boys (& girls)


British Journalism Review*
The Guardian*
Melbourne Age*




Worth a look


Charlie's Diary*
The Feral Eye*
Green fairy*
I live on your visits*
Jak - Vancouver*
Junius*
Quantum Tea*
Reflections in D minor*




Drabness is a state of mind
A. Pedant

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Tuesday, February 24, 2004
 
Canberra Parliament

I had one or two similar experiences to Bill Bryson when I went to Canberra. At the security check, they noticed the tiny penknife I had forgotten I was carrying and put it in a secure place, giving me a ticket for it.

I wandered happily round the Parliament building musing on the security anomalies. I had just parked in an underground car park, right underneath the parliament building. There appeared to be nobody checking to see if someone had parked a car bomb although there were concrete barriers designed to stop suicide bombers in trucks making a direct run at the building.

When it was time to leave, at first I couldn’t find the ticket for my penknife. ‘You’ll recognize it easily,’ I said to the cop on duty. ‘It’s a Kalashnikov.’ Then I found the ticket and got the penknife back. And, do you know, the policeman fell about laughing at my little jest. One cannot imagine that happening in any other security-conscious country. Mind you, I wouldn’t be that facetious at an airport…


Comments: Post a Comment