Josh's joshings     'The buck starts here'  Josh

"The finest and most perceptive blog in the entire Universe" - Jayson (not Tony) Blair


Email me *



How easy is it to recognise irony.
A. Pedant



Big boys (& girls)


British Journalism Review*
The Guardian*
Melbourne Age*




Worth a look


Charlie's Diary*
The Feral Eye*
Green fairy*
I live on your visits*
Jak - Vancouver*
Junius*
Quantum Tea*
Reflections in D minor*




Drabness is a state of mind
A. Pedant

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Sunday, January 04, 2004
 
Legal shopping

From time to time, when members of my extensive staff at Bagshot Mansion withdraw their labour, I have to do my own shopping. You will have read some of my experiences in the supermarket queue in the postings for 27 August 2002 and 11 September 2002. There are three other events that sometimes cause me, and others in the queue, great frustration: the first is when the barcode cannot be read. The second is even more irritating: when the shelf-price and the computer price do not coincide. This leads to considerable delay while a member of staff goes back to the shelf to make the check. The third ‘system failure’ occurs when the barcode cannot be found on the computer.

Legislation in Australia seems to have recognised these problems and has done a great deal to keep supermarket managements on their toes. I was delighted to read a notice in a supermarket in Melbourne the other day proclaiming, in effect
If the bar code and the shelf price are different, the customer is entitled to have the first item free and subsequent items, if any, at the lower price
Well I’ll be delightfully hornswoggled. How about adopting similar provisions on Airstrip One?


Comments: Post a Comment