Josh's joshings     'The buck starts here'  Josh

"The finest and most perceptive blog in the entire Universe" - Jayson (not Tony) Blair


Email me *



How easy is it to recognise irony.
A. Pedant



Big boys (& girls)


British Journalism Review*
The Guardian*
Melbourne Age*




Worth a look


Charlie's Diary*
The Feral Eye*
Green fairy*
I live on your visits*
Jak - Vancouver*
Junius*
Quantum Tea*
Reflections in D minor*




Drabness is a state of mind
A. Pedant

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Monday, October 27, 2003
 
Fantasies

Today, I read an article that suggests Hollywood is growing up. It begins
Those who have nursed Meg Ryan fantasies since she told Anthony "Goose" Edwards to take her to bed or lose her for ever in Top Gun, probably already have their tickets for In the Cut, Jane Campion's choppy, erotic thriller that opens this week. In it, a mustachioed and criminally attractive Mark Ruffalo takes Ryan to bed, plants her on her stomach, spreads her legs, and performs oral sex on her from behind, in a scene that lasts a breathtaking two minutes.
The paragraph concludes
...even the most jaded filmgoers will feel their pulses quicken.
You can read the whole article here. Now, I am not a prude but, were I to see the film in question, I doubt if my pulses would quicken. You will have heard me affirm, on several occasions, that sex is not a spectator sport (© Josh). On this particular occasion, I would be more likely to squirm at Jane Campion’s self-indulgence. I suppose I agree with the general thrust tenor of the article but I have to confess to having found 'Top Gun' a tedious piece of nonsense, even the famous (non-Freudian) flying sequences. I didn't even realise that Meg Ryan was in it.

This first part of the article made me decide to offer two observations. Firstly, the activity described gives a whole new meaning to the (presumably antipodean) question 'Why don't you go and poke your nose up a dead bird's bum?' Secondly, it is wonderful what one can learn from Hollywood's recent engagement with realism. However, I am concerned that they are blurring the distinction between actual and metaphorical 'brown-nosing'.


Comments: Post a Comment