Josh's joshings     'The buck starts here'  Josh

"The finest and most perceptive blog in the entire Universe" - Jayson (not Tony) Blair


Email me *



How easy is it to recognise irony.
A. Pedant



Big boys (& girls)


British Journalism Review*
The Guardian*
Melbourne Age*




Worth a look


Charlie's Diary*
The Feral Eye*
Green fairy*
I live on your visits*
Jak - Vancouver*
Junius*
Quantum Tea*
Reflections in D minor*




Drabness is a state of mind
A. Pedant

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Tuesday, August 12, 2003
 
A Premier error

I am seldom tempted to stir myself from my bath-chair this delightful weather but I have to make an exception in this case. A Guardian 'Correction' has particular resonance:
In our interview with Sir Jack Hayward, the chairman of Wolverhampton Wanderers, page 20, Sport, yesterday, we mistakenly attributed to him the following comment: "Our team was the worst in the First Division and I'm sure it'll be the worst in the Premier League." Sir Jack had just declined the offer of a hot drink. What he actually said was "Our tea was the worst in the First Division and I'm sure it'll be the worst in the Premier League." Profuse apologies.
When I had finished laughing, I decided to watch out for Wolverhampton's performance this season. If they do badly, Sir Jack and Michael Walker could, perhaps, replace Mystic Meg.

However, when I looked up the Grauniad site to see what was actually archived for Michael Walker's interview, I read
"I've just had some Robinsons Barley," Hayward said, turning down the offer of a hot drink from an elegant lady he had introduced as "an old flame/secretary" - she preferred old flame. "Our tea [sic] was the worst in the First Division and I'm sure it'll be the worst in the Premier League," Hayward chortled on...
So what's the explanation? Did the Grauniad correct the slip in later editions or did they correct their archives today (tut tut)? Or was there another sort of magic involved? Can Michael Walker change history or was it all a storm over (in) a teacup?


Comments: Post a Comment