Josh's joshings     'The buck starts here'  Josh

"The finest and most perceptive blog in the entire Universe" - Jayson (not Tony) Blair


Email me *



How easy is it to recognise irony.
A. Pedant



Big boys (& girls)


British Journalism Review*
The Guardian*
Melbourne Age*




Worth a look


Charlie's Diary*
The Feral Eye*
Green fairy*
I live on your visits*
Jak - Vancouver*
Junius*
Quantum Tea*
Reflections in D minor*




Drabness is a state of mind
A. Pedant

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Tuesday, May 06, 2003
 
Flagging irony

In the light of my complaint yesterday that irony occasionally falls flat, here's an interesting thought I came across (no link, sorry) last year. One blogger had a comment from an American reader of his site suggesting that there should be blogging symbols to indicate levels of irony.

I added a comment, saying that it was clear that that suggestion itself was ironic. I further added that a range of symbols was unnecessary; one only was needed and it would apply to readers, not to writers: 'I don't get/understand/appreciate irony,' it would proclaim.


Comments: Post a Comment