Josh's joshings     'The buck starts here'  Josh

"The finest and most perceptive blog in the entire Universe" - Jayson (not Tony) Blair


Email me *



How easy is it to recognise irony.
A. Pedant



Big boys (& girls)


British Journalism Review*
The Guardian*
Melbourne Age*




Worth a look


Charlie's Diary*
The Feral Eye*
Green fairy*
I live on your visits*
Jak - Vancouver*
Junius*
Quantum Tea*
Reflections in D minor*




Drabness is a state of mind
A. Pedant

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Monday, January 20, 2003
 
The letter phone in

While driving round the Australian countryside, I have frequently listened to the radio. Often, I got out of range and most of the time the subject was of no consequence but there was one particular programme where I really wanted to hear the conclusion.

This crucial programme spent an hour discussing what to call the letter 'h' in English. I was amazed that the discussion could last so long. Every participant had his or her own argument whether to call the entity 'aitch' or 'haitch'. I do not know whether to be pleased or sorry that I went out of range. Probably it was better for my blood pressure to have missed the conclusion. 'Haitch', forsooth...

It's also about time that the description of the English letter 'z' was standardised as 'zed', not 'zee' - the latter is too easily confused with 'cee'.





Comments: Post a Comment