Josh's joshings     'The buck starts here'  Josh

"The finest and most perceptive blog in the entire Universe" - Jayson (not Tony) Blair


Email me *



How easy is it to recognise irony.
A. Pedant



Big boys (& girls)


British Journalism Review*
The Guardian*
Melbourne Age*




Worth a look


Charlie's Diary*
The Feral Eye*
Green fairy*
I live on your visits*
Jak - Vancouver*
Junius*
Quantum Tea*
Reflections in D minor*




Drabness is a state of mind
A. Pedant

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Saturday, October 26, 2002
 
Pi (Π), e and i

I have had an enquiry from Mrs Trellis about the meaning of the titles of my books so irritatingly plagiarised by Jann Martel for his Booker prize-winning entry The Life of Pi. I apologise for not having made things clearer in my post of 23rd October.

Young Jann's book is called 'The Life of Pi'. Pi or Π is the symbol used for the constant mathematical relationship between the circumference of a circle and its diameter.

As I pointed out, this is a clear derivation from one of my works. 'The Life of e' is about e - the basis of natural logarithms. On the other hand, 'The Life of i' deals with i, the square root of minus 1, the basis of all imaginary numbers.

I do hope that that clears things up for you, Mrs Trellis.


Comments: Post a Comment