Josh's joshings     'The buck starts here'  Josh

"The finest and most perceptive blog in the entire Universe" - Jayson (not Tony) Blair


Email me *



How easy is it to recognise irony.
A. Pedant



Big boys (& girls)


British Journalism Review*
The Guardian*
Melbourne Age*




Worth a look


Charlie's Diary*
The Feral Eye*
Green fairy*
I live on your visits*
Jak - Vancouver*
Junius*
Quantum Tea*
Reflections in D minor*




Drabness is a state of mind
A. Pedant

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Tuesday, September 03, 2002
 
A visit to the endodontist

I have just returned from a visit to the endodontist. A most enjoyable experience ('alles ist in ordnung'). Because my horse has inflamed jorrocks, I went by car. As well as being able to give some thoughts to a philosophical/ecclesiastical problem, that has been concerning me for some time, I managed to enjoy the Buckinghamshire countryside and I was also able to do something not always possible on a horse - they're such jerky creatures.

All the chauffeurs are on strike (again), so I was compelled to drive myself. This has the incidental advantage that I do not have disagreements about what goes on the state-of-the-art stereo system. As I wandered along the back lanes near High Wycombe (I had to take lots of detours because of the myriad burst water mains - 'Has Osama been up to his naughty sabotage, again?' I mused), I listened to several pieces of music near the top of their genre: Bach's D Minor Keyboard Concerto, Richard Strauss's Four Last Songs and Berlioz's Les Nuits d'Ete.

I tried very hard to keep my mind on the philosophical problem, but I was constantly transported by the beauty of the music. I consoled myself with the thought that no-one cares how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, anyway. They care more about such pressing matters as who will win the I'm a Celebrity; Get Me Out of Here competition. I am very tempted to give up my divinity studies altogether - everyone is so godless, these days.


Comments: Post a Comment