Josh's joshings     'The buck starts here'  Josh

"The finest and most perceptive blog in the entire Universe" - Jayson (not Tony) Blair


Email me *



How easy is it to recognise irony.
A. Pedant



Big boys (& girls)


British Journalism Review*
The Guardian*
Melbourne Age*




Worth a look


Charlie's Diary*
The Feral Eye*
Green fairy*
I live on your visits*
Jak - Vancouver*
Junius*
Quantum Tea*
Reflections in D minor*




Drabness is a state of mind
A. Pedant

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Tuesday, September 10, 2002
 
Blog quality

Browsing through bloggers' contributions to the sum total of human knowledge is largely an entertaining process. For a start, it's a big improvement on looking for a Shakespearean play from those notable monkeys with typewriters (do you think they've got word processors, now?). The standard of literacy is, in general, very high, although I did come across one recently that was so riddled with typos that I gave up. No link for you, then, moosh. Perhaps we can forgive the occasional misspelling. To the admirable perpetrator of 'begger' instead of 'beggar' and 'interent' instead of internet, I offer my sympathy - I've been there.) Many's the time I've posted a blog without noticing an idiotic mistake, only to find it while browsing a few days later e.g. yesterday I misspelt 'everyone' and 'coca cola'. Most embarrassing was to have an email from Mrs Trellis correcting me for a different error. But, like all well-rounded people [He means 'egotists' - Ed.], I managed to demonstrate that she was wrong and I was right, even though she had a point, if you see what I mean. [No - Ed.]

With this new, general literacy goes the problem of 'flaming'. How easy to blog that someone's site and their opinions are total rubbish, only to regret it later. One can sometimes moderate an attack simply by reading it several times for the spelling mistakes that may have crept in and/or by leaving a 'post' for a day or two so that one is better able to judge its likely effect. Weblogs are, after all, the thinking person's chatroom. What we lose in immediacy, we gain in precision and, dare I say it, politesse.


Comments: Post a Comment